Monday 16 March 2015

It's Great with This Much Time on Your Hands...

As a humanities student, scratch that - as a Classicist I get so much flak for my chosen subject. "Why the hell are you studying a dead language?", "You must have so much free time on your hands" and "Wanna hear a joke? Angie's degree" are just a few of the inane comments I have received. Now don't get me wrong I can take a joke as much as the next guy and yes, while this was mildly amusing within the first few weeks now the only joke is how long this charade has been going on. I'm not going to justify why I study my degree and why it is important because I shouldn't have to; it doesn't take a genius to work out why a history degree is significant. If you don't think it is then please for the love of everyone involved - stop reading. Immediately. 

If you think your Economics or your Maths degree is better than anyone else's then you need a long, hard look in the mirror and re-evaluate your decisions gurlfriend! Quite frankly if you think like this surely it highlights your ignorance rather than my 'lack' of a degree? I find it quite sad that one degree is considered less respected than another, it not only belittles the hard work of scholars but it completely demoralises the student who is paying literally (sorry I'll stop using that infuriating word) thousands of pounds for an education. We're paying the same amount for a degree: last time I checked no degree was easy. 

Also, whatever happened to equality? Some people (not all, might I add) claim they are all about the equal rights ultimately end up demeaning someone else's hard work - but hey, if it boosts your ego, why not? I fundamentally can't understand why you would make fun of someone's degree when at the end of the day we'll all be severely unemployed. For now let us enjoy prolonged education and little responsibility.

0 comments:

Post a Comment